Friday, March 4, 2011

It's okay Daddy, I got this...


Five-year-olds are simply the best. They've moved beyond the temper tantrum throwing years and they're not quite prepubescent, so for the most part they carry on, relatively drama free, and lead happy little lives. We've been having a lot of fun with Libby lately because her personality is just really showing in all kinds of unexpected ways.

A few months ago she found out about an essay contest in which you could win a $25 gift card to Barnes and Noble. The assignment was to write about what you like about winter. She decided it was for the best to enter this contest. So we sat down one night and created an outline, then she dictated to me what she wanted to say, and then she copied them down herself word for word. She also created a few pictures to go with it. Here is what she wrote:


The Magic World of Winter - by Liberty Ayn


My favorite thing in winter is snow. I like to build snowmen with CeCe, my best friend. I like to throw snow balls with CeCe too. Sometimes when the snow falls and it's not enough , I like to catch it with my tongue. I like to make snow angels with CeCe and mine was Happy :-). These are my words about tasty magic snow.
 
A few weeks later we got the call; she won! We promptly went and collected her winnings and took part in a photo shoot (see above).  A few days later we went to Barnes and Noble and she picked out a few things she liked. She then went and purchased these items completely on her own (while I stood and watched from a distance with all the pride a mother can have). She had $2 left on the gift card, so we decided to go to the Starbucks inside B & N to get a raspberry steamer with the leftover money. We arrived just as Denver was ordering some coffee. We added her order to his, and the lady said "that will be $6." When Denver reached into his wallet to pull out his debit card, Libby very stealthily pushed her own card up on the counter and said, "Don't worry daddy, I got this." She was so proud. All in all, a great day and a very memorable experience.

1 comment:

  1. tasty magic snow..... love the white tasty magic snow. (Watch out for the yellow stuff Libby, haha!)

    ReplyDelete